Inspired by another interest recipe, and my desire to spend minimal time in the kitchen while producing a tasty meal, this crockpot treat was much more delicious than anticipated AND more healthy than the meat infused alternative. I was a little worried that the noodles wouldn’t be full cooked, or the veggies would be mushy and soggy, but none of that was the case. This meal was a huge hit, and the hardest part was selecting which veggies I wanted to include in this dish. It got rave reviews from the kitchen table and now I am sharing it with you. If you’re looking for something to cook when you have minimal time, this is the meal for you. Forewarning it does only cook for 4 hours on low sooo, if you’re working for 8 hours, I am not sure this is the best option for a weekday dinner, unless you have a timer or something on your crockpot to delay when it turns on. Needless to say, you have to try this healthy alternative to the traditional meaty lasagna! Its top notch.
3 Cups of Chopped Veggies ( I used zucchini, eggplant, squash, onions, and mushrooms)
1 15 oz Container Ricotta Cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Large Egg
1 25 oz Jar Pasta Sauce
1 Box Lasagna Noodles (uncooked)
2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated
1. Chop veggies (I used a slap chop or you can use a food processor, or die cutting them by hand.)
2. Place the ricotta, parmesan cheese, herbs, garlic powder, salt and egg in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Pour half of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a crock pot.
4. Place a layer of noodles on top of the sauce, covering the entire surface, breaking the noodles to fit the pot.
5. Layer half of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, followed by 1 cup of the chopped vegetables and then one cup of mozzarella cheese.
6. Repeat with another layer of noodles, followed by the remaining ricotta mixture and the chopped vegetables.
7. Pour the remaining pasta sauce on top of the lasagna and top with the remaining cup of the grated cheese.
8. Cook on low for 4 hours.