So my mom has this recipe for an oven roasted whole turkey, and its so simple but it makes SO MUCH. This is not like a Thanksgiving feast kind of turkey, although I would not be mad if it showed up on the table next year. But we make this periodically throughout the year for sandwiches and different meals throughout the week. This week we made one and we had it carved for dinner one night then the next day on Sandwiches, which I love, and then another night we had it in a Turkey Enchilada Pie, which was weight watchers friendly, because my parents are doing that now! It was great, so below I am including the recipe for the turkey and then the recipe for the turkey enchilada pie that we made with some of the left over meat, both are to die for!
1. Oven Roasted Turkey:
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1/4 cup oil
1 Thawed whole Turkey
Mix ingredients in an browning bag. Remove turkey innards and place turkey inside the bag with the mixture and seal. Massage the mixture into the turkey and then place turkey in a roasting pan breast side DOWN. Cook in the oven for 4-5 hours at 300 degrees.
2. Turkey Enchilada Pie:
3/4 lb of uncooked turkey (12oz)
1 medium onion
1tsp. chili powder
3 tbsp. of all purpose flower
1 cup of fat-free skim milk
4 oz canned jalapeño peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 Large burrito sized tortillas
3 cups of fresh tomatoes chopped
10 Tbsp low-fat shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Place turkey, onion and chili powder in skillet and cook until turkey is browned, stirring occasionally to break up meat, about 8 minutes. Remove turkey mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Place skillet over medium-high heat and add flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium; simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in turkey mixture, jalapenos and cumin.
- Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on HIGH until softened, about 15 seconds. Place 1 tortilla in bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Spread 1/3 of turkey mixture over tortilla. Spoon 1 cup of tomato on top and sprinkle with 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients ending up with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Cover pie plate with aluminum foil and cook until cheese melts and filling is warmed through, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes before cutting into 6 wedges.
3. Take that left over turkey and make a a delicious Turkey Sandwich, its like the day after Thanksgiving, but now you don’t have to wait a whole year! Obviously I am a turkey fiend.