If you’re anything like us you just had a tasty tasty Fourth of July with lots of pork deliciousness… and you probably have some leftovers. Not that I don’t LOVE eating bar-b-que, but lets be honest, I can only eat so many BBQ sandwiches before I need to entertain my pallet with some other tasty treat, hence our pulled pork tacos. The perfect marriage of everything David loves… pulled pork and mexican food. We started pulling this meal together and just thought “Well, we can just throw the pork on the bottom, and then top it with regular taco toppings” But that quiuckly changed when we decided coleslaw would be better than lettuce, and BBQ side dishes would make better toppings, and we were right, the coleslaw was the perfect compliment. We made a more vinegar based coleslaw, because I wasn’t digging the super heavy mayonnaise based set up then we topped them with BBQ sauce my grandpa makes and it was quite the tasty treat! Here’s all you need to make the perfect coleslaw topping for your pulled pork tacos:
- 1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
1. Combine the chopped cabbage, onions, and bell peppers in a bowl, hand mix so that all ingredients are well distributed in the slaw.
2. In sauce pan mix the dressing ingredients together and bring to a boil until the sugar is dissolved and let cool
3. Pour the dressing over the dry slaw and mix with tongs to completely dress the entire mixture. Cool in refrigerator and then serve as a side dish OR a great topping for your pulled pork tacos!