I made this a few weeks ago, but David LITERALLY still hasn’t stopped talking about it. One night my friend Jaque was coming over so we could have a much needed girls night and we hadn’t really made plans for dinner so in a last minute attempt to avoid just grabbing takeout we decided we would try a new take on breakfast for dinner! I found this recipe for breakfast stromboli and because I am always willing to try something once, we gave it whirl. We grabbed all the ingredients (including the fresh pizza dough ball, which was in the bakery/deli section in a little bag) from the local supermarket. All the ingredients were easy to fix up, just cook the ground sausage over medium high heat in a skillet and add the peppers at the end, and then scramble the eggs with the milk and a bit of cheese and put all of it inside the pizza dough. The hardest part was rolling out the dough because it got kind of gooey and I just couldn’t get it to roll out the right way, I guess this is where my lack of experience in a pizza place is really showing through! So after A LOT of struggling and everyone else just standing around laughing at my inability to get the job done, we finally just started pulling it (which Im SO sure is not the correct method) until it did what we wanted it to. Anywho, once we got that whole situation taken care of, we stuffed it, rolled it, and baked it and BOY was it yummy! A great breakfast treat, if you’re looking for one, and definitely a fun take on something similar to a breakfast casserole! I definitely recommend it, we served ours with grits and it was quite tasty. I think my favorite thing about this is you can really make it whatever you want, you could add spinach, mushrooms, onions, cook it with only egg whites; there really are endless possibilities!
1/2 lb pizza dough
Ground breakfast sausage (we used neeses)
2-4 eggs, plus one more beaten for an egg wash
2 Tbsp milk
Pinch salt and pepper
1 sweet bell pepper, seeded and diced (or half of a medium regular bell pepper)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Parchment paper to line pan (don’t leave this one out!)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Line large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray, trust me you DEFINITELY want to use parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, brown your sausage, and add your pepper to it to brown a bit. Once cooked all the way through, transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Keep oil rendered from sausage in pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, a bit of cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Back to the skillet with the oil, reduce the heat to medium-low and scramble the eggs
- Spread pizza dough out on baking sheet to be approximately 10×16 inches. Leave a 3×16 rectangle of plain dough along one of the edges and on the rest, sprinkle with half of the cheese, followed by the sausage, eggs, red bell pepper, and the remaining cheese on top.
- Brush the plain strip of dough with the egg. Fold in the outer sides about an inch and brush them with egg. Roll up like a jelly roll* lengthwise starting along the long edge of dough topped with all the fillings and ending with the plain strip of dough on the bottom of the roll.
- Brush the entire Stromboli with egg and gently cut slats in the top of the dough every 1-2 inches. Sprinkle parsley over top and bake 8-10 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and slice into pieces.